The ‘Manuc’ Inn

Built between 1804 and 1808 by a rich Armenian, this is the only inn which passed the test of time. The building is situated in the commercial centre of the capital on one of its most important boulevards, Lipscani, and was famous for the noise, the bustle and colorful mixture of people that it used to attract. One of the finest examples of old Wallachian urban architecture, the ‘Manuc’ Inn has preserved its atmosphere and style, functioning nowadays as hotel, restaurant and wine cellar.

Building the Inn

In 1806, Manuc Bei reached the capital of Wallachia and he is forced to settle down here for a long term because of the Russo-Turkish war. In the second half of the same year, he started the construction of the inn, which was completed in 1808. At that time, the architecture of the inn was quite innovative because Manuc didn’t want his inn to have the usual aspect of a fortress that was common in the eighteenth century. The land on which it was built used to belong to theRoyal Courtuntil the end of the eighteenth century. The exact architecture of the inn’s original configuration is not known, but descriptions of the early nineteenth century show that there were 15 underground vaulted cellars and that on the ground floor, there were 23 shops, two large halls, ten warehouses, chambers of servants, kitchens and a tunnel that fitted about 500 people. The floor had 107 rooms, mostly used for guests. In the courtyard, there was a café and a small garden with a fountain.

Along the years…

In 1842, the City Hallof Bucharestestablished its offices at the ‘Manuc’ Inn. Around the year 1880, the inn had a room for theatrical representations and it was also the place where the first performance of operetta in Romaniatook place. Before Romaniaentered the First WorldWar (between 1914 – 1916), the inn’s Hall ‘Dacia’ hosted meeting for great personalities of the time. They demanded that Romaniaenter the war with the Entente cordiale powers to liberate Transylvaniaand Bucovina. Currently, the ‘Manuc’ Inn has preserved most of its style and was converted into a hotel with a restaurant, a wine cellar and a pastry. The inn has been restored several times in 1848, 1863, 1966-1970, and recently from 1991 to 1992, the old structure being preserved every time.

Nowadays, when you enter the courtyard on its beautiful oak bridge, you can easily imagine yourself being on the streets of Bucharestin the 19th century. It’s a really nice feelling!

Leave a Reply