A guide to the cultural heritage of Targu Mures

 

A guide to the cultural heritage of Targu-Mures will bring an insight to some of the most visited museums and cultural institutions of this lovely city. These are symbols of the important cultural figures that brought their contributions to the development of Targu-Mures.

Archeological and history museum

The Knights Expositon © fotopedia.com

The Archeological and history museum is located on George Enescu Street.  Attempts to found a museum dated back to the 18th century but they only became real in 1986. In 1921 the museum hosted a collection of ethnographic and popular art belonging to Aurel Filimon. Starting with 1934, permanent exhibitions presenting the material and spiritual life of our ancestors (tools, weapons, agriculture tools), were presented in the Palace of Culture. In the Roman lapidarium one can admire many art pieces such as an alabaster figurine representing Iunona Goddess. Medieval Period is represented by a collection of weapons and tools specific to those times and also silver pieces and documents regarding Targu-Mjures fortress.

Teleki Bolyai library

 

The library was built between 1799 and 1804 and it conserves more than 60.000 books, many of them rare and valuable editions. The library also hosts the memorable exhibit of Bolyai Farkas and Janos mathematicians, the inventor of non-Euclidian geometry. The building where Teleki library functions was built for this destination between 1799 and 1802 after Count Teleki took a study trip at Basel and Paris University. The library is built in a French Baroque style. A special place is his wife’s library which has more than 2000 books. The second library is Bolyai library reminds us of the famous mathematician that lived in Targu Mures.

Toldalagi Palace

You cannot visit Targu Mures without making a small but interesting stop to Toldalagi Palace. It is one of the most beautiful aristocrat residences in Transylvania. Toldalagi Palace was built between 1759 and 1772 in a Baroque style by the French architect, Jean Louis D’or. Its owners were count Toldalagi László and his wife Wass Katalina. The wonderful garden of the palace fallows the same baroque style. Throughout the years, Toldalagi Palace served for many purposes. In 1786 it used to be a printing house and in 1920 a bank. The building was restored and after 1960 it was transformed into a history section of county museum.  It also hosts the ethnographic section of county museum since 1884.

A guide to the cultural heritage of Targu Mures presented three of the cultural and architectural masterpieces of this city. For more information please check out http://www.tourismguide.ro/html/orase/Mures/Targu%20Mures/cultura.php

Leave a Reply